Friday, February 24, 2012

The Lesson of the Droopy Rose

Hello, from sunny Jamaica!
My name is Maria and I'm a happy Christian wife {and mom} living on the Island of Jamaica.
I blog over at raising4princesses.
I'm so honored to be asked to guest post here today!
I don't remember where I heard this story before, but it is something from my girlhood that really "sunk in" and stayed with me.  The Girls Only Club is going good, meeting every Saturday at 10:00.  I enjoy planting little seeds of purity in my young girls hearts.

Today, I laid 2 beautiful red roses in the center of the concrete table.  The girls "ohh and ahhed" over them.  We admired them throughout the meeting, enjoying their faint scent floating on the breeze.  

After we finished our worksheets, I gently picked up one of the roses, held it to my nose and {dramatically} breathed deep.  "Doesn't a rose just smell heavenly?"  We passed that rose around the table.  Each girl held it to her nose, smelling the red rose.  

Next, I rubbed one of the outside petals between my fingers.  "Don't they feel so soft and velvety?"  Each girl had a chance to rub the rose between her fingers and against her cheek.


The rose made 2 more circles around the table, letting each girl enjoy it's beauty.  After much delicate abuse the petals were droopy and several fell out.  I laid the well-used rose back in the center of our circle, beside the untouched one.  "Now, if you could take one of these roses home with you, which rose would you choose?"  Each girl said the perfect looking, untouched one.

"Today, you are young, beautiful, pure...just like this fresh rose."  I went on to describe in detail how not to turn out like the droopy rose.  

"When Prince Charming comes charging over the hill on his white steed, which "rose" do you think he'd choose?"

1 comment:

Your encouraging comments are appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails